Monday, October 17, 2011

Atún Con Pan

(Friday, October 14)
Thursday evening, I was invited to dinner with some of the professors from school. We went to the same little place on the Avenida where I had dined with Javi and his friends from Jimena last Tuesday. Needless to say, it was even more delicious the second time around. We ordered some tapas to share that blew my mind! The skewer of shrimp and swordfish might be one of my new favorites. Revueltos campaneros were also very good (scrambled eggs with lots of good stuff inside.) I even tried chicken liver, which wasn’t that bad! I can’t say of all the items on the menu that I would choose to order it again, but I would eat it if it was put in front me!

The food was great and the company was too. All of the professors are really nice and welcoming (and fun, too!) My still-needs-some-improving Spanish makes it difficult to communicate sometimes, but they are always very patient with me.
After the dinner, we went to Morgans to hang out and have a drink. Morgan’s always has an interesting combination of Spanish/American/different types of music playing loudly, paired with Latina music videos on the flat screen tvs. (I like to pretend the music actually goes to the videos, it usually makes for some good laughs). The professors taught me a little bit about Spanish music, past and present. Irene, the visual arts teacher, says that the beat to reggatone music sounds like “a-tun-con-pan” which in Spanish means tuna with bread. It’s kind of random, but we decided you can use the words atún con pan for almost any beat… except for salsa which apparently is more like atún-con-pan-y-tomate.

In return for teaching me a little bit about the Spanish culture, I shared some classic American dance moves ranging from the Sprinkler to the Barnyard Dance to the Uncomfortable Bob… but the paso favorito de la noche, hands down, was the Crazy Leg. For some reason, they got a kick out of it! I don't know who this chick is, but it is the only picture on google images I could find to accurately represent said dance move:

Maybe I should actually learn how to dance....

No comments:

Post a Comment