Monday, October 22, 2012

International House of Roomies


IHOR: International House of Roomies.
That’s what I’ve got. My home-sweet-piso in Cadiz is now fully equipped with the most perfectly unconventional little family. It consists of: a drum playing, music loving, hilarious, traveling, Spanish hippie; a friendly and fun Spanish man that steps in as best friend/mother/world class chef in times of need (aka all day every day); a very lovely, funny, kind, interesting and full-of-surprises English girl; and a sunshiny, silly, Spanish-loving, sometimes-clumsy-but-knows-how-to-laugh-at-herself American girl (that’s me).

It could also be called the International House of Learning, since Eleanor is learning Spanish with us and the boys are forced to practice their English. So much learning. So much fun. All day, errday. The teacher in me just LOVES it.
Convivencia (living together) is not always easy. I know, having lived with many different characters the past 5 years of my life. But the vibe in this house is so relaxed and easy that I’m sure this year is going to be one for the books. Also, our piso is the center of fun and friends. That’s to say, in addition to my 3 awesome compis (roomies) there is a gang of usual suspects that pops in and out on a regular basis and make us laugh and entertain us. One thing’s for sure, I will never be bored or lonely in this house.
Furthermore…. I also have a pretty solid guiri family. This is essential to a good experience abroad. Every foreigner needs other foreign people to relate to and talk to and laugh with when they feel left out or confused. My guiris make me laugh a LOT and we do lots of fun things together. Home base for this year’s guiri marcha seems to be the piso of three: Emma, Leah and Emily’s cozy little place on the beach. It's fabulous. Like us.
So basically, I am surrounded by sunshine and smiles and laughter… with and a dash of crazy and occasional inappropriateness. Are you at all surprised?

2 comments: