Friday, September 30, 2011

Assimilating

Here is a list of some things I have done incorrectly because I am a foreigner here:
·         Rely on the public transportation system.
·         Attempt to go shopping at 2:00pm when all the shops are closed for siesta (rookie mistake).
·         Leave a door open at night causing the wind to slam it open and shut and wake the neighbors. ¡lo siento muchisimo, vecinos!
·         Pick “limes” off of trees on the street and wonder why no one else has snatched them.
·         Attempt to make mojitos with said “limes” and come to the realization they are actually unripe oranges that are still very, very green.
·         Proceed to make mojitos anyways and drink them on the rooftop terrace (this one’s not necessarily incorrect… maybe just foreign.)
Though I still have MUCH to learn, I’d like to think I’m adapting to Spanish life quite well, actually. My body is still adjusting to the sleeping and eating schedule here; They eat and drink well and often, and I could definitely get used to taking a siesta every afternoon!  Also my brain is starting to think in Spanish more often. I think I may have even dreamed in Spanish the other night!
One thing I haven’t been able to get used to lately: sleeping with all of the windows and doors closed. It is so very hot in this little apartment without AC. However, it has been so windy recently, especially at night that if a single door or window is left open, the breeze carries and shakes the entire house making it impossible to sleep. We have searched everywhere to buy fans, but it seems that the stores are preparing for cooler weather, so they are not carrying them anymore. For now I will have to adjust to sweating while I sleep. And/or listening to the creepy noises in the night. (Besides the creaky house, I’ve added coyotes and possibly roosters to the list of disturbing sounds).
One other thing I still can’t get used to: being foreign. Especially in this small town, we Americans are very noticeable. It’s not necessarily that we look or dress different (Although Clint and Shannon are at a disadvantage with that pelo rubio!), it’s that everyone knows each other here. When they see someone new wandering the streets for several days, people start to take notice. Today, Clint and I had a cerveza on the other end of town, and the barkeep asked if we were living here now because he had seen us around. I had never noticed this guy before, but they sure notice us! I wish more people would take the time to try to talk to us; I think the language barrier is the hardest thing to get past. Fortunately, many people are pleasantly surprised at how much Spanish I actually can speak and understand, so that’s a plus. Hopefully with time and a little more confidence in our Spanish speaking abilities we will be brave enough to make some more Spanish friends!
Anyways, back to assimilating. Last night was another great night for practicing Spanish and feeling right at home here in Ubrique. After spending several hours stealing internet from the hotel café, my roommate Clint and I ended up having a couple of cervezas there. It turns out, I have recently learned, that my good friend Pepe is actually the manager of the restaurant at the Hotel Ocurris. Pedro and his son Fran are the waiters/barkeeps at the restaurant. In addition, last night I met Andres, the owner of both the hotel and the restaurant.
Around midnight or so it seemed that the hotel was closing up, so Clint and I decided to pack up our laptops and collect our debts from the beverages we had ordered. Somehow we got talking with the man at the bar, Andres, while Pepe offered us some cervezas we couldn’t say no to. Pretty soon, one cerveza turned into MANY cervezas between the four of us – Pepe, Andres, Clint and I. While Andres knew a little English and tried to practice with us, we spent most of our time conversing in Spanish. We talked about life and work and fun and living in Ubrique and what we could expect in the months to come. Though we haven’t met very many Spanish friends thus far, Pepe and our new friend Andres assured us that we would meet many young people, especially other professors once we start work on Monday.  After several hours of good company and great conversation (and mucha cerveza) we called it a night. Andres refused to let us pay the tab, claiming that today was a dia especial… however, when in Andalusia, he says many days turn into special days! ;) He also reinforced that today we are conocidos and tomorrow we would be amigos. That’s the great thing about the people here. When you meet buena gente, you become friends quickly. While I look forward to meeting new people and making new friends, I will never forget about the good friends I made at the Hotel Ocurris and all that they’ve done for me.
Pepe y yo

Pepe, Andres y Clint


After leaving the Ocurris around 4am (yikes!) I passed out and had some excellent sleep. When I woke this morning (or afternoon I should say) my roommate Clint and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather while it’s still summer and explore the city a little bit. Our ultimate goal is to climb to the top of the cruz del tajo, the cross at the top of the mountain that overlooks the town (the one that is illuminated at night).

The bartender we met at the plaza, Jesús, said there is no route and it can be very difficult to find the way up if you’ve nevr been before. He mentioned that he would ask around for someone to take us if we are still interested in a couple days. While we will probably take up the offer of a guide later, our adventurous spirits got the best of us and we attempted to explore a little on our own anyways. We decided to just keep walking up and up… and up… and up… in the town until we reached the bottom of the mountain. Honestly, by the time we even reached that the steps and hills got the best of my calves and I was a little tired, but we kept on trekking! We found an awesome overlook on the ruta de los miradores around the city.



The view was excellent, but are taste for adventure wasn’t quite satisfied. We crossed the fence into the mountainous terrain. Immediately we encountered beautiful scenery and even some horses and goats. We hiked a little bit and got some excellent views, but didn’t quite make it to the top of the cruz del tajo. There was a small shack where a man was living high up in the mountains and he happened to be out and about with his dog. We weren’t sure if we were imposing so we decided not to go too much further on that side. Though we didn’t make the ascent to the cruz, we will definitely be back while the weather permits! In addition, I look forward to exploring the hiking trails in the nearby towns. Hopefully I can get my fill of naturaleza before the winter rain begins!

After the long hike and a decent siesta, Clint, Shannon and I grabbed some dinner at a local restaurant that boasts homemade meals. Pobrecita Debra was not in attendance as she is still ill with that virus going around, but hopefully she enjoyed her doctor recommended diet of medicine and vegetable soup :\ (I promise her a tasy Mexican fiesta night when she’s feeling better!) Anyway, the meal was pretty good, though we are still learning our way around a Spanish menu. I’m typically pleasantly surprised with what the waiter brings me. :) One conclusion we can draw about the food her is that it is very simple – possibly a little bland at times. The Spanish don’t use many spices, mainly just olive oil and occasionally a little salt. The simplicity is often quite elegant and tasty, but this Buffalo girl is missing her Frank’s Hot Sauce a little bit!
All in all the adaptation process is going well, though I still have a long way to go, even just to feel settled – begin work on Monday, orientation in Jerez on Tuesday, NIE in Cadiz next weekend, set up bank account, get a phone line and internet…. I have a lot to look forward to spending the next year of my life in beautiful Ubrique. For now, I’m just patiently waiting and learning to adapt to my new life.
That’s all for now. Abrazos! <3

1 comment: