Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Journey Begins....

I'm currently sitting in Boston Logan International Airport, anxiously awaiting my 6:20pm flight to Madrid in order to begin my new life living and teaching in Southern Spain for the next year or so. I've never been one to write down my thoughts or experiences, and I definitely never thought I'd fall victim to the trendy blog thing. However, I'm thinking this next year of my life is going to be pretty spectacular. So I've finally given in and created a blog of my own for 3 main reasons:

1. For my friends and family - this is a great way for all of you, if you so choose, to follow my adventures abroad! I would love to skype, write or talk with you all as often as I can, but this way maybe I can answer some basic questions all at once. I hope you enjoy living vicariously through my experiences (though I'm still hoping to get some of you to hop on a plane and come experience it for yourselves!)
2. For myself - I'm pretty sure I'm not going to want to forget a single moment of this experience. A lot can happen over the course of these next months... as I am slowly aging my memory loss is increasing and I don't want to miss a single beat! Last summer, when I got my first taste of European life, I wanted to capture every moment and put it in a box to keep forever. Hopefully this is a good way to jot down my memories and give myself a little something to look back on when I'm stateside again and feeling nostalgic.
3. For future travelers and auxiliares de conversacion! - moving to another country can be just as scary and confusing as it is exciting. I've found that talking to other past and/or current travelers in a similar situation is a HUGE help. You become aware of things you wouldn't think of on your own (who knew that tampons and scented candles could be difficult to find abroad??) I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the blogs of others to get a feel for what my new life will be like. Hopefully I can offer some helpful tips and insight for future adventurers!!

That being said, on to the good stuff.... ME VOY A ESPANA!!!!!

After enjoying my last weekend home with friends and family and plenty of fun American things, I said good bye to Buffalo, NY and hopped on a plane to Boston. I've got a hefty layover here, which isn't too bad because it's allowing me to sit and gather my thoughts and really let everything sink in. There's something wonderful about airports, especially the international terminal. Everyone has a different story and a different purpose for being there. I love watching the interesting array of characters come and go and wondering what their adventure is like. It gets me super excited for this adventure of my own that I am embarking on!

After flying overnight to Madrid, I will take another plane to Málaga and eventually a couple of buses into the small town of Ubrique, located in the province of Cádiz in the gorgeous southern Spanish region of Andalusia. I've never been to the south of Spain (last summer I studied abroad in the AMAZING city of Barcelona on the North Eastern coast). From what I gather, this beautiful southern region embodies the heart and soul of the Spanish culture, noted for flamenco dancing and bullfights, gorgeous coastal beaches on both the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, as well as breath taking mountain views in the small pueblos blancos such as Ubrique. Check out this video for an awesome view of my soon-to-be home town! :)  





Once I arrive in Ubrique, find a place to live (kind of essential) and get settled in, I will begin teaching English and North American culture to secondary students at IES Maestro Francisco Fatou. I begin Monday, October 3rd, and that's about all I know thus far! I am incredibly excited to start this amazing journey. I won't lie, there have been times where the process of getting to this pint has been a HUGE headache, but I am 110% confident that it will all be worth it to have the opportunity to actually work and LIVE in such a beautiful, warm and enriching environment. I hope that by sharing my own language and culture with the youth of Spain, I can learn just as much in return about the Spanish language, culture, and general enjoyment of life. I hope you enjoy following me on my adventure! More details to come, just as soon as I get there........


Abrazos <3

No comments:

Post a Comment