Saturday, September 24, 2011

Getting there is half the fun...

....but twice as exhausting!! The last 3 days of my life have consisted of multiple cities, 3 plane rides, one cancellation, a hotel in Boston, a hostel in Malaga, some taxis, a train, 2 very long bus rides and lots and lots of waiting. Oh, and of course hauling around my luggage, the weight of which I suppose is close to that of dragging around a dead body... which, in all of my struggle to juggle 3 heavy bags, I got some strange looks from people most likely thinking "who is the crazy foreign girl carrying around her house?"

But despite the struggle and exhaustion, I've still managed to enjoy the hectic ride and meet some cool people! Add to the mix of interesting characters that I met on the Madrid fight: a man from Ghana enjoying the beach life in Malaga, a young French couple, a 50-going-on-20 year old woman from Holland WWOOFing it through Southern Spain with her free-spirited travel buddy* and a very kind British couple who helped me figure out the unreliable bus schedule.
*I learned that WWOOF stands for World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms. People volunteer their labor in exchange for place to stay and eat for a few days. Apparently it is a very relaxing and peaceful experience!

All in all, it has taken me 3 full days but I have finally made it to my final destination: Ubrique (Cádiz) Spain, and it is even more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. Add to that the fact that the people are extremely kind and helpful. I'll admit as I walked the streets from the bus station to the hotel, hauling all of my luggage and sticking out like a sore thumb in this peaceful town, I began to worry a little bit-- if I would fit in, if I could survive on my limited stipend and my shotty Spanish conversational skills, if I could even find a place to live... but I was quickly reassured by the buena gente here that it is going to be a fantastic experience. Though my Spanish is still hurting a bit right now (a lot of mas despacio por favor and repite and no entiendo), I've already managed to make conversation with some of the locals in the few short hours I've been sitting in the cafe of the hotel. A delightful elderly man talked to me because I “appeared to be so lonely,” welcomed me to town,  shared with me pictures of his adorable nietos (grandchildren) and reassured me of the safety and wholesome goodness of the people in Ubrique. And then there is Pepe.

Pepe I will consider mi first local friend. He either works at the hotel café or owns it or maybe he just likes to hang out there, I’m not quite sure yet. What I am sure of is that he is one of the most benevolent Spanish men I’ve ever met. I must have had a facial expression that reads “I’m so lost” because he approached me at the café and asked what he can do to help me. I jokingly told him to find me a place to live, but he must not have picked up on the sarcasm (cultural thing?) because he literally dropped everything, left the room and came back with a list of phone numbers. But wait, as if that wasn’t enough, he has been making phone calls and returning them and helping me find options for a place to live. I felt bad because at first it was very hard to understand him – the combination of my sheer exhaustion and inability to think in Spanish as well as the very distinct gaditano/ubriqueño accent (even Pepe admitted that Madrileño Spanish was like a foreign language to him). However, he has been very patient with me and trying so hard to help, just conversing with him throughout the day has been extremely beneficial to my Spanish-speaking confidence (though my listening skills need work, he says I speak quite well!) While I was feeling a little foreign and uncomfortable earlier today, I now feel much more confident already. My foreigner blues were easily cured by a hot shower, some tapas and a cerveza, and the kindness of the people here.

In addition, I met another language assistnat who is staying at the hotel/ Apparently there are several other assistants living in Ubrique as well, though I have yet to meet them. It was nice to chat with someone else in my position; it made me feel less alone and worried. Tomorrow I think we will do some piso shopping together. Sharing an apartment would cut down on the cost a lot. As Pepe said when he realized I made friends with another American girl in my position, mejorará! It will get better!

All in all, my first evening in Ubrique has been a very emotional one. I went from feeling like a total foreigner who could hardly understand a thing, to a traveler that just might do ok. Hopefully I will be feeling like a local in no time (and speaking like one too!) The assimilation process these next few weeks is going to be tough, but I think I can handle it and enjoy ;this experience despite the difficult times. The good people and the stunning view won’t make it too hard either.  :)



Abrazos <3

No comments:

Post a Comment